Move over, Ms L!

Hi all, wondering why you are looking at this jumbled up page? This is due to the fact that Facebook didn't like our url since it starts with wog, so we have been forced to move the blog. This was some time ago, and we have placed a script which would automatically send you to our new location. Obviously, this hasn't worked for all of you, since we have just finished moderating some of your comments which appeared on this site recently, and not on our new (and improved!) site. So what we're saying is head on over to our new site, and update your bookmarks!

Monday 9 September 2013

Don't ill treat me pet dingo, Ringo

The Beatles with Billy J Kramer and Rolf Harris at the 1963 Christmas shows


Rolf: Fellas you feel like singing a chorus with me?
Beatles: yehh mmm okay yup etc etc
Rolf: Theres enthusiasm for you Ill give you a rough idea how it goes, it starts off with me going like this a one, two, a one two three four
Wobble board starts up
Rolf: And you come in in E, Paul
All together thats nice ha ha

There's an old Australian stockman, lying, dying. ahh..and he gets himself up onto one elbow and he turns to his four mates who are gathered around and he says.....

Cut your hair once a year boys,
Cut your hair once a year
If it covers your ears you cant hear boys
So cut your hair once a year

All together now
Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down Wooooooooo
Tie me kangaroo *Rolf do you have to do that* down sport
Tie me kangaroo down Wooooooooooo

Rolf: ha ha, dear oh dearI forget the words now...take care of me, make sure, look out after me...keep goin....
Beatles: haha, woooooooo *Paul take care look after me,.....(indecipherable)
Don't ill treat me pet dingo ringo
Dont ill treat me pet dingo!
They cant understand your lingo, ringo
So don't ill treat me pet dingo

All together now
Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down Wooooooooo
Tie me kangaroo down sport
Tie me kangaroo down

I think George's guitar is on the blink I think
George's guitar is on the blink
It shouldnt go mmmngaaa. mmmngaaa, mmmngaaa Plink
Okay now thats really on the blink
All together now
Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down Wooooooooo
Tie me kangaroo down sport
Tie me kangaroo down

Prop me up by the wall, Paul
Prop me up by the wall,
Ill scream and cheer till I fall Paul
If youll prop me up by the wall

All together now
Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down Wooooooooo *Rolf: thats where it should be, there woooooo
Tie me kangaroo down sport
Tie me kangaroo down Wooooooooooo

Keep the hits coming on John
Keep the hits coming on
At least 'till after Im gone, John
Keep the hits coming on

All together now
Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down Wooooooooo
Tie me kangaroo *Rolf I got it* down sport
Tie me kangaroo down

Rolf: give us a bit of diddiddydid thats it
And with his very last gasp, he says...
Tan me hide when death comes chums
*Rolf coughs a bit and says oh dear*
Tan me hide when death comes
So we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde,
And Ringo's got it on his drums!

All together now
Tie me kangaroo down, sport
Tie me kangaroo down Wooooooooo
Tie me kangaroo down sport
Tie me kangaroo down

Ha ha ha what a phony bunch of laughter that was what about messing up that ending after all the rehearsal we did at least once?
John: you forgot the words didn't ya Rolf?

Well, that was the famous Beatles version of the Rolf Harris hit song. According to hearsay in the music business, this unreleased radio track was supposed to be included on the upcoming new Beatles album "On Air - Live at the BBC Volume 2".
However, following the Australian born British celebrity's arrest in early August over allegations of sexual offences, Apple and Universal Music have had second thoughts regarding the track.
Word is the track has been pulled from the track list and this is what has caused the delay of the announcement of the album. August 8, The very same day that MCA Philippines' announced the new Beatles album via their facebook page, it was made public that Rolf Harris has been dropped by Channel 5 from his Animal Clinic series.
Someone obviously got cold feet.

Rolf Harris and The Beatles

Astoria Cinema, London, December 12, 1963. Scan from Beatles Monthly Book No. 7

Rolf Harris moved to England in 1952 as an art student at City and Guilds Art School, Kennington, South London, at the age of 22, getting into television with the BBC in 1953. After a brief spell back in Australia in the very early sixties, he returned to the United Kingdom early in 1962 and was introduced to George Martin, who re-recorded all Harris's songs the following year, including a remake of "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" which became a huge hit in the US, and "Sun Arise", an Aboriginal-type song Harris had written with Perth naturalist Harry Butler.
The song went to number two in the UK charts, losing the number one spot to Elvis Presley. He met and worked with The Beatles after they started recording with George Martin, and he compèred their 16-night season of Christmas shows at London's Finsbury Park Astoria in 1963/4.
Harris sang "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" (with The Beatles singing backing vocals) in the first edition of the From Us to You BBC radio shows, in December 1963. Harris customised the original lyrics to a version that was specially written for The Beatles (see above).
Harris was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in 1968, three years after the Beatles got theirs. Since then, he has been advanced to Officer (OBE) in 1977, then to Commander (CBE) in 2006.

 
Rolf Harris as a young man and now

On 4 June 2012, Harris was one of the comperes at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Concert outside Buckingham Palace in London, where Paul McCartney and his band also performed.
In August 2013 Harris was arrested by Operation Yewtree officers and charged with nine counts of indecent assault dating to the 1980s, involving two girls between 14 and 16 years, and four counts alleging production of indecent child images in 2012.

No comments: